This week, cohost Mike Oitzman catches up with a longtime friend and fellow podcaster Kevin Lawton, host of The New Warehouse Podcast. Kevin Lawton is the founder of The New Warehouse and has been working in the distribution and logistics industry since 2012 when he began his career as a temp employee in the Inventory department at Simon & Schuster. Be sure to check out The New Warehouse Podcast for everything related to warehouse operations and technology.
Mike and Kevin talk about the state of automation in the warehouse and how the market is evolving. Kevin also updates us on his latest venture in offering warehouse fulfillment services through The New Warehouse. This new venture will provide Kevin with the perfect opportunity to test, validate and report on warehouse software, robotics, and other technology designed for warehouse operations.
News of the Week
- Waymo AVs are coming to Austin
- Austin will be the next city that will Waymo deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) in. This makes Austin Waymo’s fourth major ride-hail city, joining Metro Phoenix, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.
- Just last week, Waymo announced that it would be pumping the breaks on its self-driving truck initiative and focusing its efforts and investments on its autonomous ride-hailing service.
- Skyline Robotics to expand with $3.35M funding round
- Note that we had Skyline executives: CEO Michael Brown and COO Ross Blum on episode 89 of the podcast
- The company is deploying industrial robots on commercial window washing platforms to clean the windows and facades of skyscrapers, starting in NYC.
- McCoy’s deploying Badger Technologies inventory robots after a successful pilot.
- McCoys is a building supply store chain in Texas
- the robots complete inventory shelf scans in just two hours each day, freeing associates from laborious shelf inspections, which previously took up to 50 hours per week.