Building and facility security operations requires attention to detail and a consistent presence. Deterrence is the first line of defense, intimidating criminals and discouraging any criminal behavior. Managing the points of entry/exit and checking credentials are one of the many tasks of a security team.
Door card readers and automated entry management is the baseline for automated facility security. Stationary security cameras are a good choice for monitoring high traffic areas of a facility, like entry points, doors and gates. Security cameras are also a great tool for monitoring high value areas of a facility like warehouses, data centers and laboratories.
Human security guards play an important role in the role of security, including patrolling areas of the facility and looking for anomalies.
Some of the important tasks of a facility security team include:
- Detecting people and determining their intent and authorization to be present in specific areas of the facility
- Checking doors/gates during all hours of operation
- Identifying incidents quickly and triaging the situation and alerting first responders to an incident
- Patrolling throughout the facility and during on/off hours to secure the facility
Unfortunately, human security staff can’t be everywhere in the facility. In addition, staffing the role of security, especially during 3rd shift and overnight hours, can be a tall task.
The autonomous security robot provides enhanced deterrence and high-quality evidence for investigations, managing repeatable security tasks and enabling security personnel to focus on high-value activities. This combination of robotics with existing reporting practices and historical trend analysis can improve the security posture of organizations by uncovering gaps, driving behavioral change and providing data to drive business decisions.
The Tyco Security Robot provides:
- People detection to determine when people are present at unexpected times or locations.
- Incident prevention to limit potentially harmful incidents and minimize negative or dangerous interactions.
- Monitoring and management for faster reaction to incidents, review incidents remotely, monitor critical equipment and ensure safety is maintained across operations.
- Comprehensive security coverage by increasing security patrols and establishing an enhanced physical presence that augments existing monitoring.
- Operations beyond traditional security such as the ability to run routine safety inspections on equipment and critical infrastructure across operations and receive sensor data.
“With the current growth and expansion of robots in the workplace, Ava’s work with Johnson Controls serves as another example of applying intelligent, mobile technology to drive better business outcomes and satisfaction. There is growing need for facility-focused robots outside of warehouse robots, and building and operational security is a smart place to focus on,” said Marcio Macedo, cofounder and VP, products at Ava Robotics. “This maps to our strategy to uncover unmet needs in the workplace, especially those that can be solved through robotics and automation.”
“Taking a smarter, more efficient, and purposeful approach to workplace security is a crucial part of building and facility management and overall business operations. The more we can effect better and safer outcomes with automated, sustainable solutions like the Security Robot, the better the work environment becomes for people,” said Osvaldo San Martin, vice president and general manager, Johnson Controls Security Products.
About Ava Robotics
Leveraging a deep technical heritage at iRobot, Ava Robotics designs and develops intelligent robots for workplace applications to improve human productivity, safety, and quality of life. Ava’s fully autonomous, mobile robot applications continue to build upon the strong technology foundation established at iRobot. For more information, visit https://www.avarobotics.com/
About Johnson Controls
Johnson Controls (NYSE:JCI) transforms the environments where people live, work, learn and play. As the global leader in smart, healthy and sustainable buildings, its mission is to reimagine the performance of buildings to serve people, places and the planet.
With a history of more than 135 years of innovation, Johnson Controls delivers the blueprint of the future for industries such as healthcare, schools, data centers, airports, stadiums, manufacturing and beyond through its comprehensive digital offering OpenBlue. With a global team of 100,000 experts in more than 150 countries, Johnson Controls offers the world’s largest portfolio of building technology, software as well as service solutions with some of the most trusted names in the industry. For more information, visit www.johnsoncontrols.com